– 3.5 pounds russet potatoes (about seven medium), peeled, halved, and sliced thin
– 3 medium sized leeks, whites and small part of tender green sliced thin (about 2 cups)
– 3 cloves of garlic, minced
– 3 tbsp flour*
– 10 oz bacon, diced
– 5 cups chicken stock or broth
– 3 cups water
– 3 egg yolks
– 1 cup sour cream
– 1 cup half-and-half
– 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
– 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
– salt and pepper to taste
In a large dutch oven or heavy soup pot, fry the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp, about 8-10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate covered with a paper towel.
Sauté the leeks in the bacon fat over medium heat until lightly browned, about five minutes. Add the minced garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the flour, stir well to combine, and cook until lightly browned, about five minutes.
Pour in the broth and water, stir and deglaze the bottom of the pot. Add the potatoes and bring to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, until potatoes start to break down and soup thickens, about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, half-and-half, and egg yolks. Take one cup of the soup broth and mix it in. Pour mixture into soup pot and stir – DO NOT allow the soup to return to a simmer or the mixture will curdle. Add the basil, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir constantly for about five minutes, until soup is thickened and heated through. Stir in the bacon. Serve.
Makes 8 servings.
* For gluten free, replace flour with gluten-free flour of choice.